Poisonous Items

Below is a general list of poisonous foods and plants, toxic household items, and other dangerous items for your pet. If your pet has ingested a toxin, please call the Pet Poison Hotline at (800) 213-6680.


  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Onions and onion powder
  • Avocado
  • Raisins and grapes
  • Chocolate (all forms)
  • Salt
  • Coffee (all forms)
  • Yeast dough
  • Fatty foods
  • Garlic
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Products sweetened with Xylitol (several gum products, certain brands of peanut butter)
  • Moldy or spoiled foods

Household items

  • Detergents
  • Fabric softener sheets
  • Mothballs
  • Household cleaners / disinfectants
  • Post-1982 pennies (due to high concentration of zinc)    
  • Liquid potpourri
  • Medications
  • Over-the-counter pain medications (Advil/ ibuprofen, Tylenol/ acetaminophen)
  • Prescription medications
  • Cold & flu medications
  • Diet pills
  • Anti-cancer drugs
  • Antidepressants

Poisonous Plants for Dogs & Cats*

  • Azalea
  • Cycads
  • Branching Ivy
  • Daffodil
  • Castor Bean
  • Ferns
  • Hyacinth  
  • Iris
  • Lillies (all Lillium species)
  • Morning Glory
  • Oleander
  • Poinsettias
  • Tulips
  • Yucca

*please note, this list is not all inclusive. For a complete list, visit Pet Poison Helpline.

Holiday Hazards

  • Sparklers / Fireworks
  • Easter grass
  • Holiday plants such as lilies, mistletoe, and holly (for a complete list see Poisonous Plants)
  • Christmas tree water (may contain fertilizers and bacteria, which, if ingested, can upset the stomach.
  • Electrical cords
  • Batteries
  • Ribbons or tinsel (can become lodged in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction—most often occurs with kittens!)
  • Glass ornaments

Outdoor & Cold Weather

  • Animal toxins—toads, insects, spiders, snakes, and scorpions
  • Swimming-pool treatment supplies
  • Blue-green algae in ponds
  • Slug and snail baits containing metaldehyde
  • Citronella candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Cocoa mulch
  • Ice Melting Products
  • Fertilizers and compost piles
  • Rat and mouse bait
  • Outdoor plants and plant bulbs
  • Fly baits containing methomyl

Non-Toxic Substances

The following substances are considered to be non-toxic, although they may cause mild gastrointestinal upset in some animals:

  • Water-based paints
  • Poinsettia
  • Toilet bowl water
  • Cat litter
  • Silica gel
  • Glow jewelry

If your pet ingests a toxin, please call Pet Poison Helpline and contact us.

PET POISON HOTLINE: (800) 213-6680 or visit online at www.petpoisonhelpline.com